Royal DSM, a global science-based company active in health, nutrition and materials, will demonstrate its expanded portfolio of 3D printing materials for SLA and FFF at RAPID+TCT 2018 this week in Fort Worth. The company is also announcing a partnership with equipment manufacturer Ultimaker to meet the growing demand for industrial-grade engineering FFF materials.
DSM recently brought together the company’s experience and expertise to form a new Additive Manufacturing (AM) business unit, combining deep market-specific application understanding and expertise for polymer AM processing technologies.
At RAPID+TCT, the newly created division will showcase its expanding materials portfolio for use in additive manufacturing:
– heritage Somos materials for stereolithography (SLA) and digital light processing (DLP)
– fused filament fabrication (FFF) materials such as Arnitel, Arnite and Novamid.
DSM Additive Manufacturing is investing heavily in bringing new filaments to market in the coming months, while exploring other 3D printing technologies.
Partnership with Ultimaker
DSM is partnering with Ultimaker in its alliance program. Combining material knowledge with Ultimaker’s insights gives end users access to a broader scope of professional applications and allows them to print automatically using preconfigured settings available in Ultimaker Cura. This collaboration provides DSM a new route to market, in addition to the existing relationship with Nexeo Solutions 3D for distribution and application development engineering services.
At booth 1410, DSM Additive manufacturing will showcase applications with its industrial-grade engineering Novamid polyamide and Arnitel thermoplastic elastomer for FFF 3D printing technology, as well as the heritage Somos materials for SLA and DLP:
• Novamid ID 1030-KS is the first material for FDM/FFF with a UL 94 V-0 rating, enabling the creation of UL-certified small-series FFF/FDM parts for industrial applications. Target parts include fuse boxes, low voltage switch gear, electronic housing, control gear, casings and connectors.
• Arnitel ID 2060-HT offers a combination of properties for demanding automotive applications under the hood such as hot and cold charge air ducts. This new filament is easy to process and can easily be welded, allowing manufacturers and OEMs to reduce the development time of engine components.
• Arnitel ID 2045 is a highly flexible thermoplastic copolymer (TPC) used in electronics, sports and leisure. The bio-based material is 50% made from renewable resources, based on rapeseed oil instead of mineral oil. ISO and USP tested, the material properties make it suitable for use in applications such as sports mouth guards and other protective gear.
• Somos Taurus for under-the-hood applications. Somos Taurus is an SLA material that brings the combination of thermal resistance, mechanical strength and impact performance design needs.