According to MakerBot, the Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner is a fast and easy way for anyone to create 3D models. Current price is $1,400 plus an optional $150 for MakerBot Digitizer MakerCare, a service and support program.
“Bringing the MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner into the world has been a big goal of ours this year,” stated MakerBot CEO Bre Pettis. “We are really excited about the MakerBot Digitizer. This is another innovative product for visionaries, early adopters, experimenters, educators, creative hobbyists, 3D sculptors, organic modelers, designers, and architects who want to be the first to become an expert in Desktop 3D Scanning.”
The device takes a real-life object, scans it using a camera and two lasers, and creates a 3D digital file – without the user needing any design or 3D software experience. It is optimized for and works seamlessly with the Replicator Desktop 3D Printer and MakerBot Thingiverse. It can be used in the office, manufacturing space, workshop, classroom, or in the home to jumpstart the modeling and prototyping process and create artworks, sculptures and figurines, as well as memorializing keepsakes and archiving. Just connect the MakerBot Digitizer to a laptop or computer and you are ready to digitize.
The MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner offers:
• Simple, yet sophisticated software to create clean, watertight 3D models with just two clicks
• A 3D digital design file in just minutes
• No design skills, 3D modeling or CAD expertise required to get started
• Outputs standard 3D design file formats that can be modified and improved in third-party 3D modeling programs, like Autodesk’s free software MeshMixer
• Creates a 3D digital file to be printed on a MakerBot Replicator 2 Desktop 3D Printer and on other 3D printers
• Easily upload scans directly to MakerBot’s Thingiverse.com, the community for discovering and sharing 3D printable things with more than 100,000 members.
• Ability to digitize physical objects up to 8 in. in diameter and 8 in. tall and up to 3 kg (6.6 lb.)
“We believe that the MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner is an innovative technological breakthrough that sets the standard for affordable desktop 3D scanning,” noted Pettis. “We focused on making the MakerBot Digitizer super easy to use, intuitive and simple. The MakerBot Digitizer is powered by MakerBot MakerWare software, and we plan to offer in the future additional software updates that are expected to add even more features and capabilities.”