Intelligent Layering is a proprietary metal additive manufacturing technology from 3DEO. The company claims that this technology is cost competitive with CNC machining and metal injection molding. According to 3DEO, part properties exceed MPIF Standard 35.
Based on binder jetting technology, Intelligent Layering uses a spray system to bind an entire layer, and then uses a CNC end mill to cut the perimeter of the part and any internal features.
The typical steps are:
- Spread a layer of powder
- Spray a binder to entire area of powder
- A cutter then shapes the perimeter of the part
- Next layer spread to continue building
- Spray another layer of binder
- Cut the perimeter of the new layer
- Repeat these steps until the object is built
- When done, the part goes into a sintering process
- Finishing will depend on the part needs, but this produces near net shaped parts.